A Brief History of the West Tennessee Industrial Association
The West Tennessee Industrial Association had its beginning in 1956 as a membership organization consisting of banks, electric and gas departments, and even interested individuals.
In 1960, the Tennessee Valley Authority allowed their power distributors to form regional industrial development organizations. The first such organization was located in West Point, Mississippi and in 1961 became known as the North Mississippi Industrial Development Association.
In 1964, the West Tennessee Industrial Association (WTIA) was organized and headquartered in Jackson, Tennessee. WTIA serves as a support organization for our local member communities.
Want to see some more history? We have documents, photographs, and ledgers going back 60+ years! Call or email to check it out.
Working with allies, this Association’s primary purpose is to support, supplement, and prepare the communities we serve to create jobs, wealth, and economic prosperity for the West Tennessee region.
Our vision is to be a trusted resource to our communities and transform the lives of West Tennesseans through economic prosperity.